Friday, October 19, 2007

Spicing Things Up

I have a confession. When I was twelve I loved the Spice Girls. Ok maybe I was thirteen.

I remember listening to their music with my friends. We would each dress up as our favorite group member, (I was always Scary Spice), and we would blast their music singing, “Yo! I’ll tell you what I want, what I really, really want.” We knew who sang what and would point at each other when our Spice Girl’s verse was on. (We could only sing when it was our girl’s turn).

This was before that horrible “Spiceworld” movie and their second album in the U.S. I sort of lost interest after a while, but there was a short fifteen minutes, “when 2 became 1.” Honestly, my Spice Girl moment was short and sweet. No sooner had I fallen in love with the Spice Girls, I was selling their CD back to the store, because it wasn’t “cool” enough to be a fan. The Spice Girl era was over.

Or was it?

Over the summer, the Spice Girls announced their around the world reunion tour. And someone would have to be living in a cave to not know. I was excited, but it wasn’t that big of a deal. Until, some guy at my job got me an extra ticket! I’m pumped! I was already planning on being Scary Spice for Halloween. So I think I will also wear the costume to the concert…

11 comments:

anonymousnupe said...

I had the serious hots for Scary back in da day. Had I the chance, I woulda told her what I wanted mos def! I hope you come trick or treating in my neighborhood dressed as her. I'll have one of each for ya'.

? said...

Spiceworld. Brings back some good memories. I remember seeing it in college with two of my roommates. We were high as kites and thought it was the funniest movie we had ever seen. We've since changed our opinions, of course.

Side note: Damn that Eddie Murphy for not originally owning up to being Scary's baby daddy.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

They were a wild group to say the least, wasnt there A SCAREY SPICE

So@24 said...

I always had a crush on Ginger and Baby. Especially in that video "Say You'll Be There".

I think I'm a boob man.

Anonymous said...

I loved the Spice girls and I was NOT thirteen. I was a grown woman with a child, hahahah!
I salute the Spice Girls...actually I should of put that fact on my lameness list instead of old Patsy Cline.

Viva Forever!

G-Sweet said...

please dont wear that costume to the concert...lol!

ETP said...

I was Sporty. Scary always bothered me a bit. She was always rawr-ing at everything. "GIRL POWAH YEAH RAWRRR" It was just a bit much, even for the Spice Girls.

Just about a year ago my boyfriend told me that the Spice Girls were never actually friends, they were just a band made my a record company. I was crushed.

phishez said...

You must be the same age as me.

And that's so very, very sad. Not about you being my age, but about being pumped to see the concert. Though, I must admit, it would be a fantastic show to see.

Steph said...

I'd LOVE to go see them. Unfortunately down here it looks like it's going to be some kind of weird ballot thing to get tickets.

Retarded much. Baby was my fave closely followed by Ginger. I do believe Ginger was my first girl crush.

Anonymous said...

Oh, boy. I'm just surprised they are all alive and none have died of shame yet.

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

-I waited too long to respond to everyone and kind of fckd myself. If that is possible… Thanks everyone for sharing their Spice Girl stories and the which-spice-girl-you-like-better input…